[Adminsysters] Funds, maintenance, peertube

mara mara at multiplace.org
Tue Jun 8 18:42:08 CEST 2021

Hi everyone,

With the hibernation of systerserver in mind, and the unfortunate event
of not having an /etc any time soon, am writing to propose some
resources, and inform of the server's current state.

Our few (semi-)public tools, gitlab, nextcloud, mailman3, need upgrade
and maintance, and the server needs a backup system. Among other stuff,
such as nfra costs, re-purposing the old systerserver, expanding the
systerserver.net landing page with content and styling.

Together with ooooo, angeliki and artemis we have looked into some
funding possibilities, that involve around sysadmin work and organizing
online workshops.

At the moment, we were rejected by Lush
(https://nl.lush.com/tag/charity-pot), where we applied for two frontend
styling workshops, one for systerserver.net and one for anarchaserver.org.

Feminist Hack Meetings (FHM) have applied as a partner with Varia (NL),
Constant (BL), Lurk (FR/NL/PT), Esc and HYPHA (RO) for an EU fund to
organize events around decentralized platforms in each country. FHM
budget for activity will contribute to systerserver costs. We expect
results end of this month.

Me and ooooo, we are now preparing an application for a Belgian fund
(https://afairnewidea.be/en/waarom), that could provide a yearly small
income for admin work, so admins from this list, who would like to
contribute in systerserver they can also benefit from a small wage. The
persons shall rotate on a schedule, but this is a later discussion. In
this application, we would like to add a peertube installation to
accommodate feminist and artivist content as an experimental platform
for short-term residencies or per request hosting.

I started looking into peertube requirements before writing here, to
check if it would be possible for adele to host such a thing, so here is
a FAQ:
https://joinpeertube.org/en_US/faq#should-i-have-a-big-server-to-run-peertube.
We'd also need to ask mur.at for the uplink bandwidth. Interesting
aspect, is that peertube instances can be federated and use each other
for caching and mirroring.

Please let us know your feedback, objections and any comments you would
like to share on the summarized following points:
- fund for sysadmin work and covering costs of systerserver for a year.
- peertube installation, maintenance.
- offer peertube for specific feminist projects for specific periods of
time.

Hope you all doing well, and apologies for the long and dense email.

warm greetings
Mara

--
GPG Key: 0x834C7CF7
Fingerpint: 1BB2 58A0 DAC4 8BCA 7928  FEBA F968 428C 834C 7CF7