[Adminsysters] Fwd: [mur.at #9912] server disconnected

Donna Metzlar donna at genderchangers.org
Tue Jan 18 17:01:25 CET 2022

FYI

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [mur.at #9912] server disconnected
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 16:32:23 +0100
From: Djamil Vardag via RT <amt at mur.at>
To: donna at genderchangers.org

Hi Donna and Others,
> Is it OK if we continue communicating via email instead of Signal? And
> that I CC Mara and even the mailing list, with regards to the server
> being disconnected?
Sure, put them in your answer, then they are in the ticket also ;)
So, Since about the 9th of January we were seeing droped packets and bad
connection on and of. People were complaining that they couldn't email
and use
our services anymore. Yesterday it got even worse, we could't work that well
because of complete reconnects. In one week you had managed a traffic of
8,4 TB
and sunday - Monday 1,6TB in 24 hours, i'll send the graphs as attachment.
So, it took some time to find out what was wrong, rebooted switches, checked
cables.. Then we saw the graph of this switch port and we turned it of
yesterday, all was well again. Sorry, we couldn't notify you earlier because
fixing the issue was much more important.
We are looking for a solution, we tried to set the ethernet link speed to
10Mbit, but that didn't seem to link on your machine.
Traffic shaping Options in the switch will take a bit because we don't
have any
at the moment and we need to understand it first.
So for now that you can try to have a look at adele we opened port 22 and
blocked everything else.
Ralph told me that you tried a peer tube instance, could that be the
culprit?

Anyway, our connection gets maxed out at 80 to 100 Mbit both directions, we
cannot handle more at the moment.
Is there anything you can do to rate limit the connection? Can you elaborate
what caused this massive traffic?

We cannot have this again, people will leave mur.at if this keeps happening.

Cheers,
djamil