[Adminsysters] [mur.at #9912] server disconnected

Djamil Vardag via RT amt at mur.at
Wed Jan 19 21:40:08 CET 2022

Hey you all
> Hey ralph
> Hey mur.at
>
> We are studying to put some bandwidth limit and monitor so we can
> troubleshoot better the machine. But where to put this limit? in our
> side or in your gateway? And how much ? Like during the night we can use
> the entire bandwidth for the server upload and download..
> and during the day (8:00-22:00) Adele can use... eg. 30MB/s for upload
You can use 20 Mbit up/down, that would be ok for now. We have to discuss that
internally.
> and 10MB/s for download ? Or what do you suggest ? We need again access
> again - port 22 incoming is not enough to troubleshoot to check our borg
> backup script - for that we need for sure 22 outgoing port.
Ok, for now we have tried to implement a iptables rate limit. You should have
full TCP access to adele again, UDP is still blocked.
It would be ok for us if you use the available bandwidth as long as our
services are still working fluidly, but that isn't that easy to implement.
> It can also be our peertube instance. We disabled the webtorrent. We
> understand that peertube needs specific requirements -
> https://docs.joinpeertube.org/install-any-os?id=installation
> No adsl - you have a 100M/Bit symmetric fiber. Is that dsl? Do you
This is a 100/100 MBit fiber, no DSL, the bottleneck is the fiber and one
100MBit switch wich will get overwhelmed if there are to many packets.
> suggest that we can run our peertube instance on your infrastructure?
> Our users are very limited and moderated. Also we don't have a lot of
> material on it. It is rather an experimental instance.
Ok, i guess this would't be a problem for our connection. Webtorrent suggests
that it uses less bandwidth on our end.
> We do understand your decision but for the moment we our server back
> running.
Sure, we can understand that and sorry that we had to be so drastic, but we
didn't have a choice as all of mur.at wasn't working well and we are loosing
our face in front of our members and financers.
> We want to install a monitoring software like netdata - promotheus.
Seems like a good idea

> Or do you have any suggestions to tackle the bandwidth problem? We have
> currently a funded project running until May so an online presence +
> visibility is importantand urgent- even while we are learning.
The problem is that we don't have any QOS on our switches enabled yet, to
tackle rate limitting there. We need to learn and implement that first.
We tried establishing a 10Mbit link to your machine, but it didn't like that.
The reasoning being that you could still use the machine, and we would have a
pseudo rate limit.
You mentioned a daily backup, maybe this is the culprit. As i said your machine
made traffic of 8TB in one week, that is just too much.
There are some websites and services of us that are also funded and we could
get a problem with renewing these services, which could cost us thousends in
the future.

we would suggest to put systercloud at grrlz.net as a forwarding address of donna
(donna at mur.at), who already is on all the lists.