[Adminsysters] Fwd: Fwd: SMART error (OfflineUncorrectableSector) detected on host: adele

bolwerK info at ooooo.be
Sat Oct 1 10:43:26 CEST 2022

Hi we forward the answer of micha to asses our smart error.
she is willing to do a session next week. who wants to be with us and
stay in the loop for making an appointment?
maybe we can have a look together before we ask her advice.
xm

hey!

sorry for being so late with the response... my first week back in nyc
has been crazy busy with work and seeing people but things are finally
calming down.

SO! UNCORRECTABLE SECTORS! This is generally a really bad sign and shows
that the hard drive is starting to degrade. If you ARE NOT using some
sort of RAID system where your drives are redundant, I would IMMEDIATELY
backup the data on the drive and start finding a replacement. It is only
a matter of time before that drive dies.

If you ARE using RAID and would rather keep that drive alive as long as
possible, you can isolate the blocks and attempt to reset them. This
will trigger the firmware on the hard drive to either a) repair the
blocks or b) choose to not use them for future storage. Smartmon's
documentation has a good tutorial on how to do this... I recommend going
through the whole thing and BACKING UP your drive before attempting the
fix: https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/BadBlockHowto

Before any of this though, it may be good to run a smartmon long test to
verify the results of the short test. You can do this by running `sudo
smartctl -t long /dev/sdb`. You can get the results with `sudo smartctl
-a /dev/sdc`, noting that a long test can take a couple hours to
complete. This is a good page for basic smartmon usage:
https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/SMART_tests_with_smartctl

Also, if you are hungry for more drives, I have an extra Western Digital
RED 8TB (one of these:
https://aphnetworks.com/reviews/western-digital-red-wd80efzx-8tb). I can
ship it to you when I get back to france on the 18th.

Anyway, I'd be happy to do a little debugging session together this
coming week if you'd like!

Micha (she/her)
http://micha.codes/ <http://probablemodels.com/>
http://github.com/mynameisfiber/