[Adminsysters] RightsCon 2022: Let’s discuss Call for Proposals ideas for the Digital Security for Communities category!

Beatrice Martini mail at beatricemartini.it
Thu Dec 16 15:12:26 CET 2021

Dear AdminSysters list members,

How are you? We hope this finds you well.

We are writing you today with further information about the RightsCon
Digital Security for Communities Call for Proposals and an invitation to
you to connect and collaborate on it together.

While the current official submission date for the Call for Proposal is
January 13, we just received a preview-update from the RightsCon Team,
letting us now that next month they will announce a **deadline extension to
Thursday January 20**. This is great news, as it offers everyone more time
to discuss and develop proposals!

As mentioned in our previous message, the Digital Security for Communities
category is a *new* space within the RightsCon program. For this reason, we
want to make sure that as many digital security communities as possible are
informed about its scope and supported in participating in it as it is most
valuable and meaningful for their work.

*# Who participates in RightsCon and what can I get from submitting a
proposal for the Digital Security for Communities category?*
Over the years, RightsCon has been growing into becoming a space where a
broad range of stakeholders, from civil society workers to human rights
defenders, advocates and technologists gather to connect, learn,
collaborate on matters regarding the most pressing and current digital and
human rights challenges experienced around the world.

As a new component of the RightsCon program, the *Digital Security for
Communities* category focuses on current and emerging digital security
practices, in response to rising online threats to individuals,
organizations, and communities at-risk.
This includes a wide spectrum of services provided to vulnerable
individuals and groups, from reactive and preventative support, to the
development and maintenance of hardware and software infrastructure and
tools.

Having a session, workshop, demo at the event (see more about all the
different formats you can experiment with at
https://www.rightscon.org/your-guide-to-a-successful-proposal/#step_2) is a
brilliant way to:

* Get feedback from other practitioners on your work, e.g. if you are
developing a new project or have one already active and want to improve it.

* Share knowledge with each other in a participatory and collaborative
setting, e.g. if you want to have a discussion which would benefit from
being enriched by different perspectives and experiences.

* Spread the word about what you are working on, to reach out who could
most valuably benefit from it, e.g. peers, civil society and media workers,
human rights defenders.

*# Where can I share questions about it and exchange ideas to (co)develop
submission proposals?*
We are going to host three online meetings, each one dedicated to digital
security practitioners who provide a particular type of service, during
which we will:

* Talk about how the Digital Security for Communities program category can
be made into a valuable opportunity to support your work

* Discuss your ideas and questions regarding the Call for Proposal, in
order to support your proposal development process as you find most helpful.

The meeting will also be accompanied by a shared etherpad. This will be at
everyone’s disposal to:
* Share ideas and take notes during the call
* Keep discussing and collaborating on developing session proposals after
the meeting – also and especially if you did not have the opportunity to be
on the call.

The meetings we are going to host are the following:

*Monday January 10, 2-3:00pm UTC*For technologists working on hardware and
software infrastructure and tools
designed to strengthen the work of rights defenders, civil society and
media workers, activists and the security practitioners who strive to
support them.

*Monday January 10, 3-4:00pm UTC*For practitioners focusing on preventative
services, such as organizational
security support and trainings.

*Wednesday, January 12 at 3-4:00pm UTC*For folks providing emergency
support, either working within a help desk or
as independent rapid responders.

If you wish to participate, please RSVP to me (beatrice at accessnow.org –
public key attached) and you will be added to the calendar invite. We will
be using BigBlueButton for the call, with the meeting link updated in the
calendar invite the day before.

*# Questions?*
If you have any questions or would like to share thoughts on the Digital
Security for Communities category, please feel more than welcome to contact
me at beatrice at accessnow.org (public key attached).

Any query about the overall RightsCon event can be sent directly to the
RightsCon Team at rightscon at accessnow.org.

Thanks again! We are looking forward to catching up soon.

Best,
Your Digital Security for Communities Co-Chair Team