[Adminsysters] Who are we?

Nancy Mauro-Flude sister0 at dyne.org
Tue Dec 13 04:41:53 CET 2022

HI Anne / All

offering forth some text for 'about page'  feel free to tweak:

The earliest known feminist web server collective is SysterServer.net
launched on International Womxn’s Day, 8 March 2005, as an initiative of
the Gender Changer Academy. The SysterServer.net offers services to
feminist, queer and antipatriarchal groups and collectives. It provides
an autonomous repository of resources and digital literacy support to
womxn where it was, and still is, partially seeded from the Open Source
and Free Software movements, which seek to incorporate principles of
freedom in sharing information and source code for others to modify and
extend to better suit holistic predilections.

The first web server of SysterServer.net was lovingly named Jean. The
act of renaming the hardware webservers as Adele and Jean is contrary to
heavily prescribed trajectories and metaphors in IT language, such as
‘Master and Slave’, which was once typical when referring to
computational hardware drives.  Attending to the persuasive power of
metaphors and languages, as well as materials and bodies, that then
script bio-socio-political life of humans and other life forms I
important to SysterServer.net and feminist internet frontier allies.

The implementation of technical utilities and the related costs involved
are conferred, administered, and maintained cooperatively with peers. In
this way, feminist web servers are built, installed, co-designed,
maintained, and autonomously determined by an intimate community of
‘prosumers’ which bestows agency to the hands-on procedures beyond a
typical consumer of off-the-shelf computational client user service.

Best Wishes from the southern hemisphere
Nancy