[Adminsysters] Upgraded to Last Version ... next?

Gaba gaba at riseup.net
Sat Nov 26 19:39:06 CET 2022

On 11/23/22 14:29, bolwerK wrote:
> inline
>
>> On 11/15/22 20:41, bolwerK wrote:
>>>    And now I finished the upgrade to the last version (4.0.2) \o/
>>>
>>> /*Next we need a fresh install in adele so we can import the DB and
>>> redirect the systerserver.town*/
>>>
>>> Great - for the update! but always better to be 2 for the learning
>>> curve but that is hard with the time zone differences ***
>>> -
>>> we made the gitlab ticket here -based on the pad:
>>> https://git.systerserver.net/systerserver/notes/-/issues/50
>>> _
>>>
>>> For migrating we were contemplating (with mara) if it is a good idea
>>> to centralize and maybe it is better to keep the digital ocean
>>> machine, To spread our services and not be dependent on 1 machine...
>>> taking in account  [a] the costs of the machine [b] if there is
>>> other personal services running on the server @gaba? [c] the
>>> interest of systerserver to run collectively the server
>>
>> You were thinking about possible bandwidth use for the people at
>> mur.at ? That would be one reason why it may be not good to move there.
> what do we need as bandwidth?

Attaching the screenshot from the last hour.

>> I'm not understanding the a,b,c options you are mentioning. I have no
>> other service running on that server where systerserver.town is in
>> right now.
> a/ how much does it cost?

Very expensive right now! I had to resize the machine after the flood
from twitter (without really many new users). Now I have

4 vCPUs

8GB / 160GB Disk

  for USD 48/mo

> b/ is the digital ocean machine of 80 gig only for mastodon or do you
> have personal work on that machine.

I do not have any personal work in that machine right now.

> c/ do we wanna move it jean -processor is 1.8 has 4 gig ram - if so we
> need new hard drives ( of 250GIg)  they are failing

It may be good to move it to jean. We can still setup an opencollective
or something for people to donate to the costs of the machine. Some of
that $ could go to mur.at

>> If we are not moving I'm thinking on maybe setting up an
>> opencollective account for anybody that may want to contribute to the
>> costs of the instance. Let me know what you think.
>
> it would be great anyhow for systerserver (do you think fiscal host is
> the best choice?)
> https://docs.opencollective.com/help/fiscal-hosts/fiscal-hosts
> <https://docs.opencollective.com/help/fiscal-hosts/fiscal-hosts>for
> now we don't have any admin/legal body and it would be good also for
> if we ask funds.
>  (do you use it for other projects ? you have exemples)
> like lurk : https://opencollective.com/lurk

Yes. They act as fiscal host for the project. And you can see all the
expenses where are they going.