[Adminsysters] servepub.net - building own infrastructure

Winnie Soon w.soon at arts.ac.uk
Sat Apr 22 12:22:24 CEST 2023

Dear In-grid, Systerserver and Autonomic,

First of all, thanks so much for supporting this project. As discussed briefly, we (Geoff (LSBU), Christian (Aarhus University) and Winnie (CCI, UAL) ) would like to organize a workshop gather different communities (In-grid:
https://www.in-grid.io/, Autonomic: https://autonomic.zone/, Systerserver: https://systerserver.net/) to learn collectively, discuss issues, and more importantly to build alliances in working alternative infrastructures.

We are able to offer a small fee of £250 for each group for this workshop (sorry it's not more but it gets things started). The workshop would be hybrid as we don't have resources set aside for travel etc, but those of us in London would ideally get together in the same space.

Our main aim is to build two Raspberry Pis , where one is to act as the main server and documentation of code/upgrade/system admin works, etc: with a web server, media wiki and gitea installed (would be physically located at CCI primarily and can be remotely access to it). The other Pi would be more mobile that include wiki2print (developed by Varia) for the upcoming issue of our journal APRJA (but connect to the main server).

So to kick start with this process "we think" the following is what we need to cover (we are not expert in this area, so your help/input would be appreciated):

1. Flashing and bootstrapping the raspberry Pis (Autonomic)
2. web server (Nginx) configuration, SSH access (Autonomic)
3. bash script (for upgrade/server maintenance/reuse the code for other Pi in future) (Autonomic)
4. Purchase of domain, settings of DNS, Public IP and network configuration, and sub domain for the Pi (Systerserver)
5. To deal with university VPN > TInc setup (Systerserver)
6. Maybe more... so we need your input  (anything you think we should know)

So we want to organize a workshop where you can help sharing the skills/ideas, tentatively:

- 15 mins: Geoff/Winnie/Christian: intro and context
- 15 mins: In-grid: intro and as a group
- 2 hours: presentation by Autonomic + discussion
- 30 mins: break
- 2 hours: presentation by Systerserver + discussion

We'd like to suggest a tentative date for this: Monday 26 June, 12.00-17.00 (ONLINE).

We understand it is not a workshop where we can learn everything in just 5 hours because system admin or system configuration is a specialized area, but we hope that this is a starting point to get things going as a collective effort. Once the servers are set up (primarily by in-grid) we would migrate what Varia have been developing at the next stage (wiki2print).

@In-grid, we can also make it hybrid and for those in London we can gather together either in CCI or LSBU (more to be confirmed).

Let us know if this is feasible for you all, and if you have any things to add, please share :)

best,
Geoff + Christian + Winnie

---

Dr. Winnie Soon (🌈 they/them)

Course Leader & Senior Lecturer, MA/MSc Computing and Creative Industry (Modular)

UAL Creative Computing Institute (CCI)

Web: https://www.siusoon.net<https://twitter.com/decolonisator>
<https://twitter.com/decolonisator>

Mastodon: post.lurk.org/@siusoon<https://siusoon.net/post.lurk.org/@siusoon>

Recent exhibition/publication:

1. Data Relations (until 19 Mar 2023), Australian Centre for Contemporary Art: https://acca.melbourne/exhibition/data-relations/

<http://www.arts.ac.uk/cci>2. Soon. W., (2023). Writing an Article as if Writing a Piece of Software. Toward a Minor Tech (Peer-reviewed newspaper), 12(1). Christian Ulrik Andersen, Geoff Cox (eds.). link: https://darc.au.dk/fileadmin/DARC/newspapers/toward-a-minor-tech-online-sm.pdf

3. Soon, W., & Valesco, P. (2023). "(De)constructing Machines as Critical Technical Practice". Convergence: The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies

4. Soon, W. (2023). "Queering Code Manual".Them all, Magazine. Retrieved from http://www.them-all-magazine.com/winniesoon
This email and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this email and/or its attachments you must not take any action based upon them and you must not copy or show them to anyone. Please send the email back to us and immediately and permanently delete it and its attachments. Where this email is unrelated to the business of University of the Arts London or of any of its group companies the opinions expressed in it are the opinions of the sender and do not necessarily constitute those of University of the Arts London (or the relevant group company). Where the sender's signature indicates that the email is sent on behalf of UAL Short Courses Limited the following also applies: UAL Short Courses Limited is a company registered in England and Wales under company number 02361261. Registered Office: University of the Arts London, 272 High Holborn, London WC1V 7EY