[Adminsysters] Funds, maintenance, peertube

mara mara at multiplace.org
Mon Jun 21 10:20:54 CEST 2021

Hi again!

My replies inline below.

On 6/9/21 5:59 PM, ignifugo wrote:
> I'm positive about the idea of peertube, but I don't think to help to
> maintain it.
The idea is to do it if we receive the fund. So in case there will be
some financial resources to install and maintain it for some time and
then evaluate if we can continue or not.

> I'm happy to partecipate in the conversation on backups (not as
> architect), I think that we have to do backup but also public wrote real
> clear that user have to conserve a local copy of what they put. that we
> offer the possibility to show in internet, the continuty  of the
> service, but they have to have a local archive. to not delegate totally
> , just in case to be no more in contact or phisical divided and.. only
> the user have the power to know what they want publish or not in the
> future. (repristinate a backup could be critical and expose things that
> was been erased). example for nextcloud, we can do a backup, but sync in
> local I think is a good suggestion to do to our user. I say because I do
> in another team, but ... yeee I'm open to speak about this if you see
> that can be not nice for whatever reason in systerserver.
Backup is most necessary for the mailing lists at this point. I'd start
with this and use the backup repo and tool, which we set for
anarchaserver. We have discussed it with the rest of us from
anarchaserver and decided that we can share AS backup server for the
lists as well. Here's a step-by-step howto:
https://git.systerserver.net/systerserver/doc-website/-/wikis/Container-Backups-with-Restic
If someone wants to do it, I can assist with pointing what to backup for
the mailing lists and set up the ssh access to the backup server.

Then, ooooo mentioned contacting maadix for backup space. Any news on this?
So once we have a backup server available we can use it for the rest of
systerserver services. And yes if someone wants to update the
systerserver landing page with info about our backup policy, please do
so. I agree with iginifugo's points, and I believe the rest of us too?

> if is confortable for you, maybe is usefull now that you are studing
> peertube.. if we put more than a services on a machine...
Backup is very important if we want to put new services, once we have
this, we can discuss other services as long as we come up with a
scheduled maintenance that falls to the shoulders of more than one or
two admins and preferably for specific period of times. E.g me or
ignifugo does maintenance for the coming 2 months, then, others take
over, etc. Just an example since, I won't have time to do admin work
this summer, and I've done for a while till now.

> use docker to conteinarize them (only the running code, not db and not
> data/config :).
I heard peertube might have some issues in encoding when containerized,
but we need to see closely if and when the time comes to install it.
As a general policy, I see docker as a good tool for scaling, e,g when
we want to quickly increase and load balanced a service, we can run more
containers. Or for network isolation. In our case, I do not know why
docker would improve our infra. Perhaps for experimenting with new
software? Let me know your reasons.
As docker is dependent on the host, if a kind of virtualization is the
reason behind it, then lxc containers may be more useful. Something to
discuss about it.

> but not feel this as a strict request.. do as you know and we can speak
> and if we like we will move the services after..
>
> I missed.. when and where you meet..
For the previous applications we did it as Feminist Hack Meetings with
angeliki, artemis ooooo and me. This one, ooooo took the initiative just
before the dealine of the first round and wrote it herself. When we
heard it was preselected, I wrote here.
So now we are applying for the second round and we meet this wednesday
again at 10.30 CEST with ooooo and Mika for finalizing the application:
https://antonieta.vedetas.org/p/feministische-servers-application
There is a focus on Belgian queer art scene because the fund is regional.

Have a nice week!

--
GPG Key: 0x834C7CF7
Fingerpint: 1BB2 58A0 DAC4 8BCA 7928  FEBA F968 428C 834C 7CF7