[Adminsysters] Mastodon - what do we want and how do we want it

Anne Roth annalist at riseup.net
Sun Nov 13 16:25:11 CET 2022

Hi,

great to see this moving forward.

Am 11.11.22 um 19:12 schrieb Gaba:
> On 11/11/22 12:20, Helen Varley Jamieson wrote:
>> i think anna meant to share / discuss between ourselves what we want
>> to see happening with systerserver.town, rather than to put that into
>> the general guidelines. is that right, anne?

Yes, that was the idea but of course we can eventually merge the two
(working on the text on the one hand and having a conversation more
generally about what we want systerserver.twon to be like).

Like, how do we move on now? Threre is the new pad with quite a few
comments and suggestions for change and the old pad with a lot of good
ideas and suggestions. Does it make sense to try and merge or would it
be better to stick with one and try to some up with a draft?

I'm fine with both, my thoughts about the new pad were to 'go the easy
way' and have something to put up so that we actually have something,
but I can also see it would be nice to have something that describes our
ideas better. Is anyone up for writing that?

How do you feel about a meeting?

> I understood this too and I think it is important for us to discuss what
> we want from that space. I like the approach that Darius Kazemi have on
> running their instance [1].

I had a look at their website and could you be a bit more specific what
it is that appeals to you there?

One thing I see there is
https://runyourown.social/#how-to-run-a-small-social-network-site-for-your-friends
and I instantly have sympathy for the idea and the feel of that.

He runs a fork of mastodon called hometown
> [2] that we could look into as it is for smaller instances . In hometown
> there is the option of local only posting, meaning only the people in
> your instance can discuss on those.

Are you saying you would like to see systerserver.town to be more of a
closed small(er) community?

On the one hand I like the idea but it opens up a number of questions:
We've been that for a while and my feeling is that it doesn't really
'come off the ground', that it would need to be a little bigger to
actually incite conversations between us.

Maybe that'll change now that Mastodon has become so much more
attractive recently? But e.g. my impression during THF in summer was
that there was some interest but didn't really lead to much interaction
there. Which is fine, just an observation.

I'm still a bit torn between wanting a more lively but still smaller
community on the one hand and at the same time feeling the need for more
visibly feminist spaces in the bigger Mastodon / Fediverse world. Right
now I see people searching for a 'feminist home' but not finding them.
E.g. here https://fedi.directory/society/ feminism isn't even mentioned
as a category. (I'm sure there's better directories, didn't really
search and just came across this by chance)

> Looking at the pad [3] that Mara shared I like many of the notes there.
> I would like this instance to be a safe space for Queer, feminists,
> feminist collectives and activists. I would like for us to have a
> feminist approach on how we build the space and build it from our
> trusted networks.

Very much. We probably should take some more time to talk / write about
what this means, no?

Cheers,
Anne