[Adminsysters] Mastodon - what do we want and how do we want it

Helen Varley Jamieson helen at creative-catalyst.com
Mon Nov 14 05:24:04 CET 2022

hi, some thoughts in between below 😁

On 14.11.22 04:25, Anne Roth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> great to see this moving forward.
>
> Am 11.11.22 um 19:12 schrieb Gaba:
>> On 11/11/22 12:20, Helen Varley Jamieson wrote:
>>> i think anna meant to share / discuss between ourselves what we want
>>> to see happening with systerserver.town, rather than to put that
>>> into the general guidelines. is that right, anne?
>
> Yes, that was the idea but of course we can eventually merge the two
> (working on the text on the one hand and having a conversation more
> generally about what we want systerserver.twon to be like).
>
> Like, how do we move on now? Threre is the new pad with quite a few
> comments and suggestions for change and the old pad with a lot of good
> ideas and suggestions. Does it make sense to try and merge or would it
> be better to stick with one and try to some up with a draft?
i think it makes sense to merge, but we should keep separate discussion
around the admin/upgrades from the policy/guidelines

> I'm fine with both, my thoughts about the new pad were to 'go the easy
> way' and have something to put up so that we actually have something,
> but I can also see it would be nice to have something that describes
> our ideas better. Is anyone up for writing that?
i will have only occasional internet access for the next 10 days so
probably can't do much. but i think it would be good to aim for a simple
description of systerserver.town that can go on systerserver.net

> How do you feel about a meeting?
difficut for me until i get proper internet ...

>> I understood this too and I think it is important for us to discuss
>> what we want from that space. I like the approach that Darius Kazemi
>> have on running their instance [1].
>
> I had a look at their website and could you be a bit more specific
> what it is that appeals to you there?
>
> One thing I see there is
> https://runyourown.social/#how-to-run-a-small-social-network-site-for-your-friends
> and I instantly have sympathy for the idea and the feel of that.
>
> He runs a fork of mastodon called hometown
>> [2] that we could look into as it is for smaller instances . In
>> hometown there is the option of local only posting, meaning only the
>> people in your instance can discuss on those.
>
> Are you saying you would like to see systerserver.town to be more of a
> closed small(er) community?
>
> On the one hand I like the idea but it opens up a number of questions:
> We've been that for a while and my feeling is that it doesn't really
> 'come off the ground', that it would need to be a little bigger to
> actually incite conversations between us.
>
> Maybe that'll change now that Mastodon has become so much more
> attractive recently? But e.g. my impression during THF in summer was
> that there was some interest but didn't really lead to much
> interaction there. Which is fine, just an observation.
>
> I'm still a bit torn between wanting a more lively but still smaller
> community on the one hand and at the same time feeling the need for
> more visibly feminist spaces in the bigger Mastodon / Fediverse world.
> Right now I see people searching for a 'feminist home' but not finding
> them. E.g. here https://fedi.directory/society/ feminism isn't even
> mentioned as a category. (I'm sure there's better directories, didn't
> really search and just came across this by chance)

if i understand it right, individual accounts on systerserver.town can
follow individual accounts on any other instance, and vice versa. in
recent days i've started following a lot of people on other servers
(mostly who are on the netbehaviour mailing list) & they are following
me back. so i have the local timeline which is everyone on
systerserver.town, where we can have our close discussions, and i have
the federated timeline that is everyone i'm following (& maybe some
others as well, i'm not sure ... ). so don't we kind of have both - the
small community and the wider discussion?

i do agree that it would be good to make feminist spaces more visible in
general in the fediverse, so it's good to make a somewhat bigger
presence for systerserver.town, but at the same time i think it's fine
to keep it relatively small, invitation only for new accounts, since
there are plenty of instances now where people can create accounts.

if we have a description page on systerserver.net & also list in some
mastodon directories, we can be a bit more visible; & if interested
feminists approach us we can invite them if we want to, but we don't
need to go on a recruitment drive.

>> Looking at the pad [3] that Mara shared I like many of the notes
>> there. I would like this instance to be a safe space for Queer,
>> feminists, feminist collectives and activists. I would like for us to
>> have a feminist approach on how we build the space and build it from
>> our trusted networks.
>
> Very much. We probably should take some more time to talk / write
> about what this means, no?

agree 😁

h : )

--